Staying true to its mission of enhancing capacity, CHRF is conducting a 4-day workshop on ‘AI in Public Health’ in September 2023.
September 22-23, 2023; September 29-30, 2023 (2 weekends)
Child Health Research Foundation (Head Quarters)
Khilji Road, Shyamoli, Mohammadpur,
The "AI in Public Health" workshop is an intensive 4-day program designed to provide participants with a practical understanding of how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can be applied to enhance public health activities. Through hands-on activities, case studies, and discussions, participants will learn about AI tools, techniques, and applications that can improve disease surveillance, diagnosis, treatment, and overall healthcare delivery.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
• Understand the basic terminology and concepts of AI
• Evaluate the potential benefits and challenges of implementing AI in public health
• Analyze real-world case studies of AI applications in disease surveillance
• Use established AI tools (ChatGPT, BARD) to speed up public health data analysis
• Critically assess ethical, legal, and societal implications of AI integration in public health.
Workshop's Format and Activities:
• Interactive lectures and presentations
• Hands-on exercises and practical demonstrations
• Group discussions and case studies
• Guest speakers from the field of AI and public health
• Take-home assignments
• Yogesh Hooda, PhD (Scientist & Lead of Biochemistry, CHRF)
• Senjuti Saha, PhD (Director & Senior Scientist, CHRF)
Workshop's Guest Speakers:
• Sudipta Saha (PhD Candidate, Harvard University, USA)
• Mark Sun, PhD (Principal Research Scientist, Versant Stealth Startup, Canada)
• Basic knowledge of public health concepts and introductory statistics
• Intermediate programming skills in Python/R
Workshop's Target Audience:
• Public health professionals
• Researchers and academics in public health and AI
• Students interested in the intersection of AI and public health
Here is the text with all spaces removed between the lines:
Day 1: Introduction to AI
- Introduction to AI concepts and terminology
- Key applications of AI in public health
- ChatGPT and other large pre-trained AI models
- Introduction to Prompting
- Hands-on: Generating codes through AI
Day 2: AI Applications in Public Health Modeling
- 10/90 gap in public health modeling
- Generating codes using existing literature
- Hands-on: Typhoid incidence calculation in Bangladesh
- Take-home assignment: Modeling direct and indirect impact of typhoid-conjugate vaccines in Bangladesh
Day 3: AI Applications in Disease Surveillance
- Types of data sources in public health
- Data quality assessment and preprocessing
- Hands-on activity: Data cleaning and preparation
- Using AI for early outbreak detection
- Predictive modeling for disease spread
- Hands-on activity: Training AI model for outbreak detection
Day 4: Implementing AI in public health and future trends
- Medical image analysis using AI algorithms
- Case study: Application of AI in X-ray image analysis
- Addressing bias and fairness in AI algorithms
- Ethical frameworks for AI integration
- Group discussion: Ethical dilemmas in AI-driven public health
All attendees will be provided with a certificate upon successful completion.
This workshop is a part of the “Democratizing Public Health Modeling Using AI-based Tools” grant made to CHRF by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Selected candidates will receive scholarships to cover the course fee.
Application form will be open until 17th September, 2023. Applicants will be confirmed after being interviewed by the CHRF team.
To apply, fill up the form here.